Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A book of faith

Have you ever read a story that inspired you in your relationship with God?

I just finished reading a missionary biography that a friend of mine lent me, named "Evidence Not Seen". Darlene Deibler Rose was a missionary in New Guinea, when WW2 broke out. She was separated from her husband and moved to a Japanese camp for women and children. The story revolves around her being a prisoner of war, and all the hardships she had to go through. 

Darlene's faith in this book completely overwhelms me. She constantly sought Jesus throughout her whole journey and never once failed to trust in Him as her Deliverer and Friend. Though she was almost starved, was working well beyond her own strength, and was emotionally and physically exhausted, she always knew her Savior was there for her.

While in the camp, Darlene held devotions and prayer in her barracks. She told people about the Lord whenever she could. This just amazes me...that she thought about sharing the Lord's work and her mission even in suffering! I want to be like her! When hardship comes, I want to be in the middle of God's will. I hope to stand firm in His promises for my life. I would want to encourage others to trust in Him.

What would you do if you were a prisoner of war?

I honestly can't imagine going through what she did, without totally falling apart. But I have faith in God that He would take care of me no matter what. Where He wants me to be, that's where I'll go. His plan for my life is the best one!

I would really recommend reading this book. There are some pretty intense parts, that just about broke my heart, but to see God's faithfulness was amazing. 

One of Darlene's favorite psalms to quote during her imprisonment was Psalm 27:
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
   of whom shall I be afraid?
 2 When the wicked advance against me
   to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
   who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me,
   my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
   even then I will be confident. ...

14 Wait for the LORD;
   be strong and take heart
   and wait for the LORD."

Darlene waited. And she lived to the day when she returned to her home. And later, even after all of those bad memories from her 4 years of imprisonment, she returned to the East Indies to continue missions. She returned. That is one courageous woman. And God wasn't done with the work He had prepared for her in New Guinea, so he called her there again. And she answered. Now that is inspiring.
Pigmoid people that Darlene ministered to

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post about this faithful and faith-filled woman - and I love how it impacted you too. I'm looking forward to reading the book, even if parts of it are difficult to absorb. Those kinds of books are worth reading when they lead us to a deeper faith!

Liz said...

I'm always on the lookout for good missionary biographies - thanks for giving a taste of this one - and telling your response. This book is going on my wish list!
(remember Anna with JV in Slovenia? I'm her mom :)